Rodents can be a persistent problem in Arizona, seeking shelter, food, and water in homes. If you have a rodent problem, you need to know how to remove rodents and the best ways to rodent-proof your home. Here are tips for rodent control in the desert.
Rodent Proof Methods
To rodent-proof your home in Arizona, follow these steps:
- Seal Entry Points: Inspect your home for cracks, gaps, and openings where rodents can enter. Common entry points include gaps around doors, windows, utility lines, and vents. Seal these openings with caulk, weatherstripping, or steel wool, as rodents can chew through softer materials.
- Secure Trash and Food: Store trash in tightly sealed bins and place them away from your home. Keep pet food in airtight containers, and avoid leaving pet food out overnight. Store dry food goods like grains and cereals in rodent-proof containers.
- Maintain Landscaping: Trim trees and bushes away from your home to prevent rodents from using them as a bridge to access your house. Keep a tidy yard to minimize hiding spots for rodents.
- Eliminate Water Sources: Repair leaky pipes and faucets to eliminate potential water sources. Ensure proper drainage to prevent standing water in your yard.
- Install Door Sweeps: Install door sweeps on exterior doors to seal the gap between the door and the floor.
- Use Rodent-Proof Screens: Replace damaged or ineffective window and vent screens with rodent-proof screens made of heavier materials.
- Keep a Clean Home: Regularly clean and declutter your home, eliminating nesting and hiding places. Vacuum and sweep up food crumbs promptly.
Prevention methods can help deter rodents from entering your home, but if they are already present, you may need critter removal services from a pest control professional like Urban Desert Pest Control.
What Do Pest Control Companies Use for Rodents?
If you have rodents like rats or mice in your home, you may wonder, “What do pest control companies use for rodents?” Rodent exterminators use various methods for rat and mouse control, including rodent exclusion and proofing methods. Here are some common questions about rodent control options used by professional pest control companies:
Is There an Effective Spray for Mice?
Mouse repellent sprays typically use natural ingredients like peppermint oil, which mice find unpleasant, to deter them from entering certain areas. While these sprays can be a helpful part of your rodent prevention strategy, it’s important to note that they may not be a standalone solution for existing infestations. In severe cases, professional pest control services may be necessary to address a mouse problem effectively.
Where to Buy Ammonia for Rats?
You can buy ammonia at most grocery stores, hardware stores, or online retailers. It’s commonly available as a household cleaning product. However, using ammonia as a rat deterrent or repellent should be approached with caution, and it’s essential to follow safety guidelines as it can be harmful to humans and pets.
How Much Does a Rat Exterminator Cost?
The cost of a rat exterminator for rodent removal or proofing for your home varies. It depends on the extent of the infestation and other factors. To receive a quote for rat extermination in Arizona, contact our team at Urban Desert Pest Control.
If you have a severe or persistent rodent problem, consult with our team at Urban Desert Pest Control. We can provide tailored solutions and ongoing maintenance to ensure your home remains rodent-free.
Rodent-proofing your home in Arizona requires vigilance and a combination of preventive measures. By addressing potential entry points, securing food and water sources, and maintaining a clean and tidy living space, you can significantly reduce the risk of rodent infestations and protect your property from these unwelcome intruders. Call our office in Phoenix to schedule a rodent inspection – we serve all major cities in Maricopa County.